A new start in a new home—what could be better? But before you get settled in, you have to actually move in, and moving can be a chaotic and time-consuming process.
It’s crucial to plan ahead to make your move go more smoothly. Luckily, we’ve assembled some spectacular tips on planning your move, so that you can get to the point where you enjoy your new home faster.
Moving Tips to Settle In Faster
- Get organized early on by establishing a timeline and moving checklist. Arrange your packing and moving tasks by weeks in order to get the important things out of the way first and not leave yourself with tons to do with only days left before your move.
- Seize the opportunity to purge your belongings of everything you don’t need, want, or use anymore. You’ll have less to move, and your new home will feel even better for being clutter-free.
- Keep related items together as you pack. Extension cords should stick with the appliances that use them, books with bookends, remotes with televisions, and so forth.
- If you’re not making use of professional movers, ensure that you pack safely and label everything before friends show up to help you move. Consider packing delicate items with lots of padding, so that your amateur mover friends don’t break them.
- If you are hiring professional movers, communicate with them about any delicate furniture, unwieldy appliances, and other challenging conditions.
- The day before you move, be sure to defrost and drain your fridge and freezer.
- Pack the items you’ll need first in easily-accessible overnight bags and clear plastic bins, so you don’t have to dig through boxes for clothing, toiletries, and tools before you unpack.
- Pre-clean the kitchen and bathroom in your new home before you unpack. That way, these spaces will feel more organized, and you’ll feel more at home as a result.
- Plan a home inspection before you move in! The last thing you want is to get settled into your new home just to be uprooted while you solve a mold problem, install new plumbing, repair a structural problem, or some other issue.
While it can be difficult to keep things straight while you move, following these tips can help you and your family to stay organized on track through one of the biggest household tasks you’ll have to face. As well, getting a comprehensive inspection of your new home before your move will help you move in with confidence and settle in more quickly. To find out more and to schedule an inspection of your new home, contact Sherlock Home Inspectors today by calling 712-274-9617!